International visitors - visa
All participants who need a visa to enter the Schengen area, are recommended to apply for a visa as early as possible. Handling time for a visa application to the Schengen area is normally 15 days, but in some instances it might take up to 30 days. If you do not hand in your application at least 15 calendar days before planned date of departure, the Embassy cannot guarantee that they will be able to make a final decision on the application before intended date of departure.
To facilitate the application process, please consult the local Norwegian embassy’s website for accurate information about the procedure in that particular country.
General requirements for obtaining a visa when attending a political conference are as follows:
7.2.12. Political, academic, cultural, sporting or religious events
A foreign national who applies for a visa in order to take part in an event as mentioned above must document the following:
- where and when the event is to take place
- an invitation from the organiser, which states the name of the organisation hosting the event, the duration of the event and other information about the purpose of the visit. The invitation should preferably be addressed directly to the applicant but general invitations may be accepted.
- if the visa applicant represents a not-for-profit organisation, he/she should present an official document from his/her home country confirming that it is a not-for-profit organisation and that the applicant represents the organisation
- the applicant’s role during the event
- admission ticket/ paid participation fee
- the applicant’s position in a corresponding industry or organisation in his/her home country, for example an employment contract or confirmation from the employer
- that the person in question is an active athlete at the appropriate level at a sporting event
- membership of a political party
- temporary place of residence in Norway, for example a hotel.
- Members of official delegations taking part in meetings, consultations, negotiations or exchange programmes, plus events organised by intergovernmental organisations, must submit:emporary place of residence in Norway, for example a hotel.
- a copy of the official invitation, which must be addressed to the government of the applicant’s home country or country of residence
- a letter from the authorities of the applicant’s home country or country of residence, confirming that the applicant is a member of the country’s official delegation.
Failure to comply with these requirements will slow down the process, and may cause a refusal.
The invitation you have received for this conference, as well as a copy of your registration form will serve as valid documents to prove your participation.
Participants who receive a travel grant from the Norwegian government will receive a personal letter about this. The letter should be presented with the visa application.
Participants are advised to register the application electronically through the following link: